Carer's Allowance is paid to people who look after someone with substantial caring needs. You do not have to be related to, or live with the person you care for and you may qualify if:
• you are aged 16 or over
• you spend at least 35 hours looking after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance
For more information see the Carer's Allowance page on the GOV.UK web site.
Carer's Allowance Unit
Phone 0345 608 4321
Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record. To qualify for Carer's Credit you must be looking after one or more people for a total of at least 20 hours per week.
Each person you care for must get one of the following:
• Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
• Attendance Allowance
• Constant Attendance Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment - daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
• Armed Forces Independence Payment